Tuesday 10 November 2009

Analysis of Storyboard with Finished Product.





Analysis of Storyboard with Finished Product.
This storyboard wad composed of 29 panels, with shot types, actor instructions and directions listed. Every panel was named, numbered and included detailed character actions for ease of organisation and reference. The Storyboard was drawn on paper before being scanned into a digital format.

This is one of the first shots that the audience would view. This shot identifies one of the main characters with a tracking close up angled at 90° to show the side of his face. The character is walking, the shot follows alongside him and portrays his direction of travel. The background is visible which clarifies that he is in a forest. The mise-en-scene that this is shot gives a feeling of remoteness as apart from the character, there is only woodland in this shot. The character in this shot is casually walking, connoting that he does not feel threatened at this point.


This is how this panel became part of the finished product. I feel that I captured the sort of shot that I had wanted. The forest in the background helps identify the location of the character and he appears to be walking casually, I helped reinforce this feeling by using a handheld shot. This is the exact effect I was after and I’m please with how this worked.





I used this shot after the close up shots of my characters to show that all three individuals were travelling together. All three characters appear to be casually walking through the forest. I wanted a fixed camera shot from a tripod with the characters walking from one side of the shot to the to the other. From a creative point of view this shot along with other similar shots not only give the audience a visual narrative of the characters actions but they also are used to identify the characters. I feel it is best to give the characters some introduction during the trailer instead of just making them appear in later shots, this technique also allows members to connect with the characters giving them more interest towards them and their fate.



I had originally attempted to copy this shot exactly, however I found that in order to get the mid-shots that I wanted I could not zoom out further to get all the characters in the shot at once, this would have created a very cramped shot. I instead created an alternative. The characters was timed to walk across the shot so they appear almost one after another, as one leaves the shot the other enters.


This composite image shows just how cramped the characters would have been if I had not changed the shot. I am pleased I decided to change the directions of the actors. I feel I created a much better shot that was much more realistic.





A handheld shot connoting someone’s/something’s point of view. The shot is in close proximity to the ground, moving slowly through the forest’s undergrowth. As far as mise-en-scene is concerned, I wanted to connote to the audience that the point of view of which this shot is taken from is animal like and non-bipedal, this is achieved by having the camera close to the ground whilst creeping along at a slow speed. This shot is crucial to the plot of my trailer, by this point all three of my main characters have already appeared and from the shot type I have used I have made it obvious to see that this is a new unknown being which is likely to be sinister. A regular head-height shot would have not given me the desired connotations that I have achieved using my method.


I followed my original storyboard panel during the filming process, I felt that I interpreted the drawing well in real life. The shot is low to ground, and moves close to the forest undergrowth.
During the editing stage of my project, I decided I should add a blue filter over the original video, this makes it appear less human still. I applied this filter by using the white balance video effect on Pinnacle Studio 12 video editing software.

The aim of shot is to depict a stage of a tent being assembled to be used as part of a quick, fast paced montage of shots; these include taking the tent out of it’s bag, the adjustment of it’s guide-lines, unzipping of it’s door and as shown here the hammering in of the tent pegs. This montage would bring a burst of speed to the plot and show that they are without a doubt camping. I wanted a close up of the hammer striking the peg, with the characters hand in the shot. The same character performs these tasks, implying that he is in charge of the camping trip and is knowledgeable enough to know what he is doing with the tent.


I decided to stick to the basic outline of the storyboard panel, but I wanted a shot from slightly further away. This includes more of the tent in the shot and more of the background is also visible. I could have used an even longer distance shot but I did not want to include the face as this could distract from the point of the shot.

Overall I feel I have stuck to my original storyboard well and I've succeeded in bringing the slides to life in my trailer and that any changes that I've had to make have been for the right reasons in order to make the product better, I'm very happy with how I've recreated the storyboard panels in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment